March 1, 2024

Increased Mortality and Morbidity in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease Hospitalized for Heart Failure

A recent study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association reveals that adults with congenital heart disease (ACHD) who are hospitalized for heart failure (HF) face an elevated risk of mortality and morbidity. The research, conducted by Dr. Pradyumna Agasthi and colleagues at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, compared the outcomes of HF hospitalizations versus non-HF hospitalizations in ACHD patients. The study aimed to identify predictors of mortality at 90 days and one year, as well as quantify the risks associated with mortality, major adverse cardiac and cerebrovascular events, and health resource utilization.

Data from 26,454 unique ACHD admissions between January 2010 and December 2020 were analyzed. Of these admissions, 22 percent involved HF hospitalizations, while the remaining 78 percent did not. The researchers observed a notable increase in ACHDHF hospitalizations, from 6.6 percent to 10.4 percent over the study period. During an average follow-up of 2.23 ± 2.19 years, patients who were hospitalized for ACHDHF experienced substantially higher risks of mortality, major adverse cardiac and cerebrovascular events, and health resource utilization. The hazard ratios indicated increased chances of rehospitalization (1.86) and greater use of post-acute care services (1.56). Moreover, patients who visited a cardiology clinic within 30 days of hospital admission had lower 90-day and one-year mortality rates (odds ratios, 0.62 and 0.69, respectively).

The findings of this study shed light on the heightened mortality and morbidity risks faced by young adults with congenital heart disease in the United States following hospitalization for heart failure. The researchers emphasize the importance of engaging in cardiology care before admission to reduce mortality risk and improve health outcomes for ACHD patients. This study underscores the need for specialized care to optimize the well-being of adults living with congenital heart disease.

*Note:
1. Source: Coherent Market Insights, Public sources, Desk research
2. We have leveraged AI tools to mine information and compile it