The global Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to be valued at US$ 12.99 Mn in 2023 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 15% over the forecast period 2023 to 2030, as highlighted in a new report published by Coherent Market Insights.
Cell therapy manufacturing involves expansion and processing of cells or tissues for therapeutic application. Cell therapies deliver healthy cells to replace or repair damaged tissues and cells. They are widely being developed for chronic and degenerative diseases such as cancer, cardiac disorders and autoimmune conditions. Cell therapies offer minimally invasive treatment alternative to traditional drug therapy or surgery. Advantages associated with cell therapies include targeted delivery of therapeutics, minimized toxicity and enhanced efficacy. Growing development of advanced cell-based immunotherapies is expected to drive significant demand for cell therapy manufacturing over the coming years.
Market key trends:
Increasing research in cell-based immunotherapies: Major pharmaceutical and biotech companies are focusing on developing cell-based immunotherapies such as chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) therapies, natural killer (NK) cells and dendritic cell vaccines to treat cancer. Advancements in gene editing technologies such as CRISPR are also supporting development of novel cell therapies. Growing clinical success of CAR-T therapies is further stirring research in this field.
Rising investments in cell therapy manufacturing facilities: Significant capital is being invested by market players as well as governments to develop specialized facilities for cell therapy manufacturing. This is necessary due to complex and customized nature of cell therapy production. For instance, in 2021, WuXi Advanced Therapies invested US$ 50 Mn to build cell and gene therapy manufacturing facility in Shanghai, China. Such investments are expected to enhance manufacturing capacities to meet the rising demand.
– Threat of new entrants: The threat of new entrants in cell therapy manufacturing market is low as large infrastructure and capital is required to set up facilities for cell therapy manufacturing. Regulatory hurdles and lengthy approval processes also deter new players to enter the market.
– Bargaining power of buyers: The bargaining power of buyers is moderate to high as few biopharmaceutical companies dominate the market and have high bargaining power over suppliers. However availability of alternative contract manufacturers keeps the power in balance.
– Bargaining power of suppliers: The bargaining power of suppliers is low to moderate as cell therapy manufacturing services require technical expertise. However, presence of many contract manufacturing organizations makes it easy for buyers to switch to alternate suppliers.
– Threat of new substitutes: Threat of new substitutes is low in cell therapy manufacturing market as no major substitute for cell-based therapies has emerged in the industry. However, gene therapies and tissue engineering are developing as alternatives.
– Competitive rivalry: Intense as major players compete to expand their market shares through innovation, acquisitions and collaborations.
– The Global Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Size is expected to witness high growth, exhibiting CAGR of 15% over the forecast period, due to increasing investment in cell and gene therapies by biotech companies and growing demand for advanced cell therapy products.
– North America dominates the market currently due to presence of major market players and high adoption of cell therapy technologies. Asia Pacific region is expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period owing to rising government funding for cell-based research and expanding biotech industry.
– Key players operating in the cell therapy manufacturing market are WuXi AppTec, Inc., Lineage Cell Therapeutics, Inc., HEALIOS K.K., Lonza, Merck KGaA., Takara Bio Inc., Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Co., LTD, Fujifilm Holdings Corporation, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Astellas Pharma Inc.
1. Source: Coherent Market Insights, Public sources, Desk research
2. We have leveraged AI tools to mine information and compile it